Home    Bengaluru Information   Tourist Attractions in Bengaluru  Sightseeing in Bengaluru

 Bengaluru Sightseeing


1. Monuments 2. Museums 3. Lakes and Parks
 
4. Art and Cultural Centres 5. Religious Centres

 Monuments

Vidhana Soudha

This imposing edifice built almost entirely of dressed Bangalore granite is a tribute to temple architecture. Housing the Legislative Chambers of the state government, this 46 meter high seat of the government is Bangalore's best known landmark. This is one of Bangalore's most important buildings. Kengal Hanumanthaiah, Chief Minister of the then Mysore State between 1951-1956 was responsible for the concept, the structure and the setting of this magnificent building. There are four domes on all the four corners. The main entrance is overshadowed by the four headed lion,the symbol of Indian sovereignty. It houses 22 departments and 300 rooms. Supervised and executed by engineers and architects led by the then Chief Engineer, late B.R.Manickam of the Public Works Department, the Vidhana Soudha is an arresting monument. The building project was started in 1952 and took five thousand labourers, 1500 chisellers, masons and wood carvers four years to complete. Built entirely from Bangalore granite in the Dravidian style, it has floral motifs on stone carvings drawn from the celebrated temple craft of South India.

Total floor area: 5,50,505 square feet. Length: 700 feet. Width: 350 feet. Height from floor level to top of central dome: 150 feet. The project begun in 1952 was completed in 1956. Recently The Karnataka government has constructed a replica, named Vikasa Soudha, to the south of the building. Initiated by the then Chief Minister, S M Krishna, and inaugurated in February 2005, it is intended to be an annexe housing some of the ministries and legislative offices.

Vikasa Soudha

The Vikasa Soudha was inaugurated on February 05, 2004 by the Karnataka Governor, T.N. Chaturvedi, in the presence of the then Chief Minister, S.M. Krishna. The eight-storeyed new block has ornamental outer wall and resembles Vidhana Soudha.Mr. Krishna laid the foundation stone for the Vikasa Soudha on August 30, 2001.

The South Block will have a grid interactive solar power system, with regular power supply as backup. The officials of the Public Works Department said the building would use half the plant capacity.Extra power would be fed to the State Grid. But the corridors do no get natural light. There will be rainwater harvesting in the building, in compliance with recent Government moves towards water conservation.

The then Chief Minister Mr. Krishna was personally involved in the decor of the Chief Minister's chambers. The main hall of the Vikasa Soudha has a colourful map of the State.The other features are the South Block has eight floors spread over an area of 7.5 acres, with a built-up area of 58,274 sq m. It has 360 rooms overlooking four courtyards. There will be three cafeterias.

The building has a sophisticated fire fighting system and the elevators installed there can carry between 13 and 20 passengers each. It will have a printing press. A pedestrian subway connects it to the Vidhana Soudha.Vikasa Soudha, the new South Block of Vidhana Soudha build at a cost of Rs 148 crore. The South Block is built in an area of about 7.5 acres. It is an eight-storeyed structure with outer walls of ornamental stone work similar to the Vidhana Soudha facade.

The Vikasa Soudha is expected to save the government exchequer of Rs 5.50 crore now paid towards rental charges per annum for several government offices functioning in private buildings which will be moved to the new building.The granite stones for the ornamental stone work was specially selected from quarries located in Hesaraghatta, Avalahalli, Mallasandra and Koira.It will have hydro-pneumatic system for water supply and 100 KW solar power grid system, making it the first government building to have these systems.

There is parking facility for about 600 cars in the three basement floors.Vikasa Soudha came into limelight recently when tennis champions Mahesh Bhupathi and Sania Mirza played a promotional match on a make-shift tennis court laid between the imposing Vidhana Soudha and Vikasa Soudha.

The Bangalore Palace

Inspired by the Windsor Castle, it was built in 1887 by Chamaraja Wodeyar in Tudor-style. Standing in the heart of the city, this unique edifice gives the impression of a piece of England's architecture in Bangalore with fortified towers, arches, turreted parapets and undulating lawns . The palace was earlier surrounded by beautiful gardens in the midst of a vast open area, which have reduced considerably today.

The structure has fortified towers and its interiors boast of elegant woodcarvings and Tudor-style architecture, complete with Gothic windows, battlements and turrets. This 110 year old palace, largely constructed of wood, is famous for its carving and paintings. An exquisite door panel at the entrance leads to grand settings inside. The interiors have breathtaking floral motifs, cornices, mouldings and relief paintings on its ceiling.The construction of this 45,000 sq ft palace cost just over Rs 1 Million. Reverend Garret originally owned the land, on which the palace rests today (The credit of setting up the first printing press in the city also goes to him).

Located between Jayamahal and Sadashivanagar areas, the palace ground has now become a venue for various exhibitions, concerts and cultural programmes and film shooting. There is also a statue of Venkataswamy Raju, the head gardener on one of the lawns. Spread over 45,000 sq ft, the palace began to look a bit decrepit after 1949 when it was at the center of an ownership dispute between the Government and the ruling Wodeyars. However It has now been restored to the Wodeyar. Forty-five rooms, two large open courtyards, fancy fountains, engraved aqua blue marble seats, turreted parapets, majestic towers and intricate wooden carvings immediately transports one to the bygone era. The 'skating' ballroom, with its smooth and slippery teakwood flooring, hints at the elaborate parties the Mysore royals threw frequently. The darbar on the first floor, overlooking the grounds below, flaunts mesmerizing paintings of Ravi Varma. From the darbar door, one can see what would have been a prized catch for the hunters of the past – a massive elephant head mounted over the wall. In fact, some rooms also have stuffed stools made of elephant and deer legs.Tourists can get a peek into what was till now off-limits, thanks to some parts of the palace finally opening up for the public. Visitors can shop at the boutique, set up by Srikanta Datta Wodiyar and his wife Pramoda Devi, which offers the finest Mysore silks, with a royal name tag attached.

Attara Kacheri

Attara Kacheri literally means "eighteen offices" or departments. In 1864, Commissioner Bowring conceived and prepared the plans for setting up a full-fledged secretariatbuilding, almost a century before the Vidhana Soudha was even thought of. It was earlier known as the Old Public Offices, housing the general revenue and secretariat of the State government. It now has the offices of the High Court of Karnataka. The Attara Kacheri building was completed in 1868 at a cost of Rs 4.5 lakh. The work on the building was executed by Rao Bahadur Arcot Narayanaswamy Mudaliar. It is an impressive two-storied building of stone and brick, red in colour and has been built in the Greco-Roman style.

Tipu's Summer Palace

The palace was first a mud-brick defence built by Kempegowda in 1537. Hyder Ali and his son Tipu Sultan later rebuilt it 1791.The two-storied structure (replica of the a Daria Daulat in Srirangapat- nam) served as Tipu's summer retreat, which he endearingly called lask-e-jannat (the envy of heaven). An inscription on the wooden screen describes the palace as the 'abode of happiness', almost mocking the ruins that surround it. Though the palace still has elegant teak pillars, most of the painted decorations have been destroyed and it is in very bad shape.

The Fort

Situated opposite the City Market, the Fort is noted for the beautifully carved Islamic-style arches on the gate walls, and for the well-preserved Ganapathi Temple within its precincts. One of the temple's outer walls carries an exquisite carving of Sri Krishna playing his flute, and within, there is a fine statue of Lord Ganesh, which still attracts devotees.Originally this fort was built by Chikkadeva Raya and was later extended, dimantled and rebuilt by Haider Ali and Tipu Sultan.

What remains now is parts of the fort wall with a tablet marking the place where Cornwallis had breached it in 1791. In the courtyard is the Ganesha Temple that is popularly thought to represent Tipu Sultan's religious tolerance. It opens to the public from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Indian Institute Of Science (IISc)

Also known as the Tata Institute, is one of the country's finest research institutions, specializing in advanced science and engineering studies.

Innovative Film City

Finally Bangalore has something on the lines of Universal Studios (not at that scale though). Get to see yourself how they shoot a movie and enjoy some fun rides! The Film City is on Mysore Road.

Jawaharlal Nehru Planetarium

Jawaharlal Nehru Planetarium was founded by the Bangalore City Corporation in 1989. It is located on Sir.T Chowdaiah Road. Since 1992, it is managed by the Bangalore Association for Science Education (BASE). BASE is devoted to dissemination of science among the public and the student community. On the premises there are the Science Centre and a Science Park.

The Bangalore Race Course

The Bangalore Race Course is one of the finest in India, with racing events almost all year round (May to June and Nov to Mar). Some of the biggest field stakes in the country can be witnessed here.


 Museums

Government Museum

This is one of the oldest museums in the country and was opened in 1886. It has 18 galleries housing Neolithic finds from the Chandravalli excavations and from the Indus Valley. It also has an exquisite collection of coins, art, textiles, Thanjavur paintings and Vijaynagar, Hoysala sculptures as well as some fine pieces from Halebid and some antique jewelry and geology. The Museum is on Kasturba road along the southern edge of Cubbon Park. It is terribly maintained but it is worth a visit. (Timings: daily 10 am - 5 pm;except Mon Admission: free)

The State Archeological Museum

Situated in Cubbon Park this is similar to the Attara Kacheri with the same red colour and architectural style. The original block was designed and built by Colonel Sankey, in 1876. Several wings have been added on in the later years, all of which remarkably conform to the parent style. The original collection in the museum belonged to B. L. Rice of the Mysore Gazetteer. Being one of the oldest museums in the country, it has an exquisite collection of coins, sculptures, old paintings, inscriptions and excavated items. Timings: 10 am to 5 pm . Monday is a holiday. Admission is by tickets.

Vishveshvaraya Industrial Museum

This museum is a tribute to the brilliance of Sir M. Visvesvaraya, one of the architects of modern Karnataka. Browse through this building to get an idea of working models of different machines. One of the specialties of the museum is the mobile science exhibition which tours the state the whole year round. It displays an airplane and steam engine in its compound. There is a comprehensive range of exhibits on electronics,motor power and the uses and properties of wood and metal. Inside there are five galleries, each dedicated to a particular aspect of technology.

A wonderland of information about the marvels of science. The museum has several rooms, each devoted to one discipline of technology. Approach the room of electronics and the door opens on its own accord, step in and the lights come on, seat yourself and music fills the room. You can monitor your voice as you speak, and learn how things are made - from motion pictures to alarms. The museum portrays the application of science and technology in industry and human welfare. Seminars, demonstrations, lectures and film shows on scientific subjects are organized periodically. The Mobile Science Exhibition, a special feature of the museum, tours all over the State throughout the year. Visitors who have a deep interest in popular science can work on some of the exhibits here. The highlight of the museum are the five galleries Engine hall, Electronic Technology Gallery, Kimbe Paper Metals Gallery, Popular Science Gallery and Childrens' Science Gallery. Interestingly, this 125-year-old museum is extremely popular with school kids. It is located on Kasturba Road Bangalore. Timings: 10 am to 5:30 pm.

Gandhi Bhavan

The teachings of Gandhiji are imparted by the Gandhi Smarak Nidhi, which is in the Gandhi Bhavan located on Kumara Krupa Road. An organized picture gallery depicting the entire life of the Great Mahatma have been maintained by the Gandhi Smarak Nidhi. Photostat copies of letters written by him to various personalities of his day can also be seen.

Seshadri Memorial Hall

This red building with gables, in Cubbon Park was built to commemorate Sir K.Seshadri Iyer, who was the Dewan of Mysore State from 1883 to 1901. The library housed in the building was set up in 1915.The statue of Seshadri Iyer in a small rose garden, in front of the Hall was put up in 1913. The building with the statue in front forms a focal point of a long avenue coming from Hudson Circle.


 Lakes and Parks

Ulsoor Lake

This lake is centrally located, over a space of 1.5 sq. km. It was originally known as "Halsur" or "Alasur".It then extended over an area of 125 acres. It was constructed by Kempegowda II during the second half of the 16th century, and was a major source of water for the inhabitants then. Now it no longer supplies water but is a great place to beat the heat. It is a major tourist attraction with a boat club. You can enjoy a boat-ride which includes stops at some of the tiny islands that dot the lake. The boating is organised by the KSTDC. Pedal and row-boats can be hired for Rs 120/- per hour. Boating is open on all days including Sundays and government holidays between 9:30 am and 5:30 pm. Attached to the lake is a park with a lot of shade and greenery, which is frequented by children and others.

Yediyur Lake

Here is another lake of Bangalore, distinguished by the sculpture of a girl by artist John Devaraj, set right in the middle of the lake. The surroundings look nice but to tell the truth, this lake is sadly neglected.

Sankey Tank

The Sankey Tank, located near the Vyalikaval Circle in Sadashivanagar , is a serene and scenic spot to visit.

Believed to have been constructed in the year 1914 by a person called Sankey , the lake is no an area of 55 acres and has an average depth of 30 History has it that the water of the lake was used the Mysore Maharajas, who resided at the Bangalore Palace situated near the lake.

Boating on a weekend can be fun and the Sankey Tank offers you just the setting you need.. It is open from 10 am to 6 pm and has no holidays. The boating facilities provided are - row boats, pedal boats and motor boats. A Swim Centre is housed within the boundaries of the Sankey Tank. The centre is open from 6 am to 5 pm on all days except on Friday, which is the weekly holiday. It is closed between 10 am and 12 noon every day. There is a separate batch for ladies from 3:30 pm to 4:30 pm. The entry is Rs 10/- for adults and Rs 5/- for children.

Lal Bagh

Surrounding one of the towers erected by Kempe Gowda, the founder of Bangalore, is the 240 acre landscaped Lal Bagh gardens. Haider Ali, the warrior-king of Mysore, decided to create this garden in 1740 on the lines of the Mughal Gardens that were popular during his time and later improved upon by Tipu Sultan.It houses a splendid collection of about 1,800 species of tropical, subtropical and medicinal plants brought from Persia, Afghanistan and France. Hyder Ali's son, Tipu Sultan, added to the beauty of the garden by publicising his wish to receive much-sought-after species of plants from visiting dignitaries.

With an intricate watering system for irrigation, Lal Bagh is aesthetically designed, with lawns, flower beds, lotus pools fountains and a floral clock. Most of the centuries old trees are labelled for easy identification. During season, the rose garden is beautiful to see. Apparently, when the young Tipu saw this profusely flowering rose garden he exclaimed, "Lal Bagh!" (Red Garden) and that is how Lal Bagh got its name!While walking around, do not miss the Lal Bagh Rock, one of the oldest rock formations on earth actually dating back to 3000 million years! Also worth seeing are the Kempe Gowda Tower and the Glass House which hosts exhibitions from time to time. The Glass House, a later addition to the Garden, now hosts a permanent flower show which is in addition to the extravaganza held every year on Independence Day and Republic Day.

There is an extensive horticultural seedling center as well. The British brought in gardeners from Kew in 1856 and built a military bandstand and a glasshouse, which is based on London's Crystal Palace and hosts flower shows. Hemmed in by champaka trees and pencil cedars, the glass house has played host to several visiting dignitaries like Gandhiji, Rabindranath Tagore and Queen Elizabeth II. Flower exhibitions are held here during Republic and Independence Day. One of Kempa Gowda's original watchtowers rests on the Lal Bagh rock and you can check out the surreal floral clock (gifted by HMT) surrounded by Snow White and the seven dwarfs.The Lal Bagh Botanical Gardens, as it is called now, is open to public from 9 am to 6 pm for a nominal fee of Rs.2/- for persons above 12 yrs. In addition, for the benefit of early morning joggers, and fitness freaks, the gates are open from 6 am to 9 am and 6 pm to 7 pm, when entry is free of charge. Entry for school children and the disabled is free.

Cubbon Park

On a grassy expanse over a few hundred acres in the centre of Bangalore is the Cubbon Park, planned and laid out in 1864 by Sir Richard Sankey, the then Chief Engineer of Mysore. It is named after Sir Mark Cubbon, Bangalore's longest serving Commissioner. Lawns with vibrant flower beds, shady bowers and flowering trees, make this an ideal place for fitness freaks and the elderly to take their morning jogs or evening walks.

The Park has elegant classical buildings like Attara Kacheri (the Karnataka High Court) and the Visveswaraya Industrial and Technological Museum, Government Museum, Aquarium, Venkatappa Art Gallery, Seshadri Iyer Memorial Hall all of which are well known. Besides these, it also houses Bal Bhavan - an amusement park for children. Cubbon Park is open to the public at all times, but is closed to traffic from 5 am to 8 am every day. In spite of the monstrous pollution in the city, it still remains an Oasis of greenery in the heart of modern Bangalore. Situated close to the High Court is the State Central Library, worth a visit for its rare treasure of books and building has the "pompeian red" colour and architectural style of stone and fluted pillars, with walls finished in lime plaster. Apart from its rich flora, Cubbon Park houses a number of other institutions of significance like the Cheshire Dyer Memorial Hall, Ottawa Chatter, Century Club and the Press Club.

Cariappa Memorial Park

As a memorial to Field Marshall K.M. Cariappa of Karnataka, the Cariappa Park was laid out in 1996 in a portion of the parade grounds between M.G. Road and Cubbon Road. Spread over 22 acres, the park has six segments, an entrance plaza and a seven-feet monolithic monument of Cariappa. There is a huge man-made waterfall and a pond that attracts birds to the park. At the bandstand which is an elevated lawn, six military bands perform every fortnight. The grassy dunes around the bandstand provide comfortable seating for the public. The garden is maintained by various divisions of the Army.

A play area has been scientifically created in military style to improve physical strength and mental co-ordination of children. There are sand pits, a spiderweb, Tarzan-swing, Burma bridge, zig-zag tunnels and balance bars. A walker's track, paved with cobblestones, is 1.8 kms long. About 3000 species of plants and trees both indigenous and imported can be found here. In an effort to be eco-friendly, no chemical fertilisers or pesticides are used for growth or maintenance of the plants. A walker's track, paved with cobblestones, which is 1.8 kms long is ideal for long walks.

Cariappa Memorial Park is open to public on Saturdays between 1 pm and 7 pm, on Sundays between 9 am and 7 pm, and during the rest of the days between 5:30 pm and 8 pm. Eatables, drinks and pets are not allowed inside.


 Art and Cultural Centres

Venkatappa Art Gallery
(Kasturba Road, Bangalore - 560 001 Ph: 22864483)

If you are an art lover, then this is the place you must visit with plenty of time at your disposal to derive maximum satisfaction.
The gallery has about 600 paintings, which are on display throughout the year. The art gallery, which is divided into two halls, has stone sculptures from the Mathura and Khajarao schools of art. The other hall is dedicated to pottery and clay articles belonging to the Indus Valley civilisations. It also exhibits 20th century landscapes and the occasional contemporary art show.On the ground floor, the paintings of K. Venkatappa, born in 1887 to a family of court painters, are on display. His works include a panoramic view of the Ooty Lake, view from Church Hill - Ooty, Nilgiri Mountains, Kodaikanal, Sunrise in Ooty, a painting on Monsoon and various other sketches.
On the first floor, the works of M. F. Hussain, Vasudev, Hanumaiah, Hariram, Rekha Rao, Yusuf Arakkal and N. S. Bendre along with various other artists are on display.On the same floor is a section dedicated to C. P. Rajaram's exquisite wood carvings
This floor is also available for exhibiting work by other artists. The second floor is solely dedicated to K.K Hebbar - the "Hebbar Section". His paintings on the elements are titled Vayu, Jala, Prithivi, Sea Shore, In Space, Nagamandala, Agni, Last Glimpse and Death. It also includes numerous sketches labeled Japan, Bali village, Mother and so on. (Timings: daily except Mon 10 am - 5 pm; Admission: Rs 10)

Karnataka Chitrakala Parishat
(Kumara Krupa Road, Bangalore Phone 22261816)

Opened on June 25, 1976 in the heart of Bangalore, Chitra Kala Parishad has a unique collection of traditional paintings, leather puppets and artefacts of Karnataka. It has a graphic studio, sculpture studio and an open-air theatre. Many of the works on display, belong to the students of the Parishat.
The paintings on display here are on different media like Oil on Canvas, Watercolors, Mixed Media, Etching, Lithography and many more. The prices range from Rs 3000/- onwards, and each work of art is categorised individually, displaying the name of the artist, media used, cost and size of the canvas. Some of the paintings are not for sale. There are a number of exhibit halls in the first floor of the Parishat, which include the Roerich and Kejriwal gallery. The paintings of Nicholas Roerich have been placed in two different galleries called Roerich I and II.
The paintings are arranged in an orderly fashion at a convenient height with adequate illumination to bring out the depth in these paintings.
And then there are the Chitrakala Parishat Collections, a permanent exhibition of the paintings collected by the Parishat over a period of time.
The Chitrakala Parishat is open to the public on all days between 10 am and 5 pm. However, the Parishat's personal collections, including the Roerich and Kejriwal Galleries are closed daily between 2 pm and 3 pm.
A recently concluded exhibition called "Exposition 2000" had a collection of works created by the students of fine arts, which included Posters, Cards, Calendars, Photographs and many more which came under the category of "Applied Art". The idea behind this was to apply art to all possible fields and use it as a medium of communication.

Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan
(Race Course Road, Bangalore Ph: 2265746/2267303)


Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan which has centres all over India, is an organisation for education in the fields of culture and literature. Seminars, discussions and literary forums are held regularly on various subjects. The Bhavan also has an extensive library of both fiction and non-fiction. Classes are held in Indian painting, Indian music, Indian dance, the Bhagawad Gita, the Upanishads, Yoga, Sanskrit and the Brahmashastras. Bhavan which is situated on the Race Course Road is open Monday to Friday from 10 am to 5.30 pm and from 10.30 am to 1.30 pm on Saturdays.

Chowdaiah Memorial Hall Sankey Road.

This is a hall built in the shape of a violin, in the memory of the violin maestro T. Chowdaiah. With modern acoustics including floodlights and spotlights, speakers and amplifiers, it is a popular venue for plays and dance recitals as well as the occasional fashion show. It is a multipurpose airconditioned hall which has a seating capacity of over 2500 people. It is the venue for most of the cultural events held in Bangalore.

Craft Council of Karnataka 37, 17th cross, Malleshwaram.

The council focuses on organising exhibitions, workshops and lectures on handicrafts and Indian handlooms.

Puttana Chetty Town Hall
Built in the European-Classical style, this structure was built in honour of K Puttanna Chetty. It has a fairly large auditorium. The Hall is booked almost through out the year with meetings, plays, magic shows, dance and other performances. This Town Hall was opened in 1935 and can accomodate an auidience of 900 people. Town Hall is also an important landmark of Bangalore

Ravindra Kalakshetra
Situated next ot the Town Hall on the JC Road, this is another huge auditorium where plays, drama and dance competitions are frequently held. Built during the centenary year of Rabindranath Tagore, this is a fine theatre for dance and drama and can accomodate and audience of about 1500 people.
Opposite to the Kalakshetra is the ADA Ranga Mandira which is a new addition for the cultural loving people of Bangalore.

Indian Institute of World Culture

It is situated at B P Wadia Road in Basavanagudi.. It has a well equipped library with a variety of books & manuscripts. It conducts summer courses for children.

The British Council Library 29, St Marks Road.

A good library with a collection of more than 4000 books. The library also has a section that features educatinal audio and videotapes. Open from 10.30 am to 6.30 pm every day except on Sundays and Mondays. The annual subscription fee is Rs 500.

Max Muller Bhavan 3, Lavelle Road

Founded in 1960, with an aim to bind India and Germany culturally through information and education. The bhavan offers short term and long term German courses and also conducts seminars, exhibitions and workshops. A wing of the Indo-German Cultural Society of India, Max Muller Bhavan works at bridging the cultural gap between India and Germany. There is a library, and occasional film screenings.

Alliance Francaise 16, G M T Road.Vasanthnagar, Bangalore-560052

The French Embassy's culture shop. It holds exhibitions, cultural activities and film shows at regular intervals. The Alliance Francaise also boasts of an art gallery, video library, dance studio, cafeteria and an Asterix Club that will delight children.


 Religious Centres

Whitefield Ashram (Shri Satya Sai Baba)

Whitefield is a suburb of Bangalore, situated at a distance of approximately 24 km from the heart of the city. The place is mainly known for housing the Brindavan Ashram of Sri Sathya Sai Baba. Inaugurated by Sai Baba on 25th June 1960, the ashram lies near the Whitefield Railway Station. Every year, in summers, Sri Sathya Sai Baba stays at the Whitefield Ashram near Bangalore for nearly three months. Given below is more information about the Brindavan Ashram in Whitefield, Bangalore.

Brindavan Ashram, or the Whitefield Ashram, comprises of the following main edifices.

Trayee Brindavan
Trayee Brindavan is the residence of Sri Sathya Sai Baba in Whitefield. He stays here whenever he comes to Bangalore. It is a beautiful, lotus shaped, building in pink and yellow and was inaugurated by Baba on 26th April 1984.

Sai Ramesh Krishan Hall
Sai Ramesh Krishan Hall was built in the year 1992 and houses a captivating statue of Lord Krishna. It is here that Baba gives darshan, when he is in Whitefield. The hall also serves as the venue for bhajans as well as festivities held during the stay of Baba.

Brindavan Campus
The campus of Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning is situated inside the premises of the ashram. There is also a hostel for students inside the ashram complex, adjoining Sai Ramesh Krishan Hall.

Sai Krishan Kalyana Mandapam
Sai Krishan Kalyana Mandapam is an auditorium, located between the Student's hostel and Trayee Brindavan. It was inaugurated on 25th March 1999 and is used for holding cultural programs and conferences.

Sri Ramakrishna Ashram

There are many Ramakrishna Ashrams in Bangalore, but the special and central one is in Gandhi Bazaar - the place of temples in Bangalore. This mutt contains a vast meditating hall, a beautiful park, a vedic school and many more facilities. Sri Sharada Devi had meditated on a location in the park in this boundary. This location is preserved as a monument. A stone on which Swami Vivekananda had sat when he visited Bangalore is also kept as a monument. This is a calm and peaceful place for the place who enjoy the meditation.

Art Of Living Ashram (Shri Shri Ravi Shankar)

Art Of Living Ashram is at a distance of 21 km from the city centre on Kanakpura road. It is the ashram of Sri Sri Ravishankar. On regular day Satsang is at 7 PM and on Sundays at 4PM. The ashram is full of greenery and the soothing ambiance provides a great place to relax. Nrityagram is in Hessaraghatta, 28 km from the city centre. This unique experimental village is dedicated to gurukula tradition of dance, music, choreography and painting.

Iskcon Hare Krishna Temple

Situated on Chord Road, it is a must visit temple in Bangalore. It stands over a small hill and is a very clean and well maintained temple. Akshaya Patra program sponsored by the temple is very popular.

The Bull Temple

This temple, built by Kempe Gowda, houses the magnificent stone statue of the sacred bull, Nandi. It stands over 15 feet tall and is over 20 feet long . In Nov/Dec every year, when the groundnuts have been harvested, a groundnut fair is held near the temple. The first groundnuts are offered by the farmers to the sacred bull.

The Gangadhareshware Temple

Known for its four monolithic pillars and rare idol of Agni, the God of fire,this temple was built by Kempe Gowda. A unique phenomena is witnessed here on Jan 13/14th every year when the rays of the setting sun enter through the window, pass between the horns of the Nandi and shine on the Shivalingam.

The Dharmaraja Temple

Located at Nazarethpet in the suburbs of Bangalore, this temple is the starting point of the annual Karaga procession. The revered idols of this temple are the Shri Dharmaraja Swamy, hero of the Mahabharata and Lord Krishna.

Dargah Hazarath Tawakkal Mastan

This Muslim shrine,located in Cottonpet, a suburban locality, is associated with the Hindu Karaga festival too. The procession annually visits the Dargah of this Sufi saint, Tawakkal Mastan. His tomb attracts both Muslim and non-Muslim pilgrims.

Jumma Masjid

The Jumma Masjid is probably the oldest mosque in the city. It is an imposing structure with tall ornamented granite pillars adorning the elevated prayer hall. Scores of devote Muslim worshippers throng this masjid during the annual festivals of the Muslims. It is located in the busy market area of Bangalore, K.R.Market.

Ravindra Kalakshetra

The Kalakshetra, built to commemorate Rabindranath Tagore's centenary, promotes cultural activity in the city. It has a superb theatre and houses the Cultural Akademi Offices. Next to it is the Gothic styled Puttannachetty Town Hall whose huge auditorium can easily accommodate over 1500 persons.

St. Mary's Church

Established by a French missionary Abbe Dubois in 1811, St.Mary's church is the only church in Karnataka state to be elevated to the status of a minor Basilica. Every September, The Virgin Mary's festival is celebrated with a procession that attracts people of all faiths. The church is situated near the Shivaji Nagar Bus Terminal.


 Bengaluru Hotels

List of Hotels in Bengaluru>>


 Bengaluru Tours


TOUR NAME DURATION PLACES
 Scenic South 07 Nights & 08 Days Bangalore-Coorg-Ooty-Mysore-Bangalore
Scenic South Tour

Tour Information

  • Starting Point:
  • Bangalore

  • Ending Point:
  • Bangalore

  • Duration:
  • 07 Nights / 08 Days


  • More Info >>
 Classical Karnataka 06 Nights & 07 Days Bangalore-Mysore-Ooty
Classical Karnataka Tour

Tour Information

  • Starting Point:
  • Bangalore

  • Ending Point:
  • Ooty

  • Duration:
  • 06 Nights / 07 Days


  • More Info >>
 The Blue Mountain Tour 06 Nights & 07 Days Bangalore-Mysore-Ooty-Kodai-Coimbatore
Blue Mountain Tour

Tour Information

  • Starting Point:
  • Bangalore

  • Ending Point:
  • Bangalore

  • Duration:
  • 06 Nights / 07 Days


  • More Info >>

Online Enquiry Form

    First Name

    Email Id

    Contact Number

    City

    Country
    Preferred Hotel

    Check In
    Check Out
    Room Type

    No. of Rooms

    No. of Adults

    Child (0-12 yrs)

    Any Other Requirement
    First name

    Last name
    Email Id

    Contact Number

    City

    Country
    Arrival Date
     
    Tour Duration

    Rooms Required

    No. of Adults

    Child (0-12 yrs)

    Preferred Hotel

    Holiday Type

    Car / Coach
    Type
    Range
    Any Other Requirement
    First name

    Last name
    Email Id

    Contact Number

    City

    Country
    Arrival Date
     
    Duration

    Pick-up from

    No. of Adults

    Child (0-12 yrs)

    Car / Coach
    Type
    Range

    Any Other Requirement